- Car industry policies
- Consumer information
- How are legislative crash tests developed?
- Vehicle safety policy
- What are the key EU vehicle safety standards?
- What are the main policy mechanisms?
- What can European countries do?
- Who regulates vehicle safety?
Globally, there is much variation in the provision of vehicle safety equipment from region to region. Product liability law is based on the level of protection the consumer could reasonably expect. The EU General Product Safety Directive was introduced in 1985 with strengthened provisions introduced in 1992 and 2001. While European provision for product liability is more limited than the US system, product liability can focus car manufacturing attention on innovative design which goes beyond compliance with current legislation.