- Car industry policies
- Consumer information
- How are legislative crash tests developed?
- Product liability
- Vehicle safety policy
- What are the key EU vehicle safety standards?
- What are the main policy mechanisms?
- Who regulates vehicle safety?
What can European countries do?
While many decisions on vehicle safety are taken at international rather than national level, European countries can play an important role. The best performing countries in road safety typically engage in the following activities towards improving vehicle safety:
- Engaging fully in international legislative development work
- Carrying out national research and monitoring of vehicle safety measures
- Supporting and joining the European New Car Assessment Programme
- Encouraging financial incentives for the use of protective equipment
- Ensuring that protective equipment usage laws are properly enforced
- Encouraging local car industry to fast track key safety measures