OVI on the back of the driving licence
- Characteristics: Colour-shifting (optically variable) ink, which changes colour according to viewing angle. Non-reproducible security element.
- Method of verification: Changes colour according to viewing angle.
Several security features
- Characteristics: Laser engraving for personal data on the driving licence (including photo and signature), digital photo (black and white) and safety background of digital signature, positive and negative microtext, pink-violet-pink IRIS combined with verification colour, hidden image (LFI - Latent Filtered Image), shadow image with microprint (map of Estonia), visible and invisible multi-coloured fluorescent print, optically variable ink (OVI) - changing between golden and green colour (on the back of the driving licence).
- 1 Surname of the holder
- 2 Other name(s) of the holder
- 3 Date and place of birth
- 4a Date of issue of the licence
- 4b Date of expiry of the licence
- 4c Name of the issuing authority
- 5 Number of licence
- 6 Photograph of the holder
- 7 Signature of the holder
- 8 Permanent place of residence
- 9 category(ies) of vehicle(s) the holder is entitled to drive
- 10 Date of first issue of each category(ies)
- 11 Date of expiry of each category
- 12 Additional information/restriction(s)
Categories & Codes
For more information on the corresponding categories, please check the Commission decision on equivalence.
Period of validity*
A, B, BE
Until 65: 10 years;
above 65: 5 years
C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE
Until 50: 10 years;
above 50: 5 years
A1, A, B1, B, C1
2 years in the case of a provisional driving licence
*This refers to the administrative validity of the document and does not necessarily reflect the holder’s right to drive.
Description of national category
T and R (R was valid until 1/7/2011)
Tractor, mobile machinery and tractor train
Preliminary driving licence: use of novice driver sign required. Maximum speed limit 90 km/h.
Code has validity period of 2 years.
These categories are only allowed to drive while the conscript is in the Defence Forces. The code is not used for the right to drive power-driven vehicles in subcategory C1.
Motorcycle with a power output of 25 kW or an effective engine power of maximum 0.16 kW/kg.
- Certificate of professional competence is issued : YES
- Code 95 is marked on the driving licence : NO