Several security features
- Characteristics: Laser engraving for personal data on the driving licence (including photo and signature), digital photo (black and white) and safety background of digital signature, positive and negative microtext, pink-violet-pink IRIS combined with verification colour, hidden image (LFI - Latent Filtered Image), shadow image with microprint (map of Estonia), visible and invisible multi-coloured fluorescent print, optically variable ink (OVI) - changing between golden and green colour (on the back of the driving licence).
- Location: OVI on the back of the driving licence
- Characteristics: Colour-shifting (optically variable) ink, which changes colour according to viewing angle. non-reproducible security element.
- Method of verification: Changes colour according to viewing angle.
- 1 Surname of the holder
- 2 Other name(s) of the holder
- 3 Date and place of birth
- 4a Date of issue of the licence
- 4b Date of expiry of the licence
- 4c Name of the issuing authority
- 5 Number of licence
- 6 Photograph of the holder
- 7 Signature of the holder
- 8 Permanent place of residence
- 9 category(ies) of vehicle(s) the holder is entitled to drive
- 10 Date of first issue of each category(ies)
- 11 Date of expiry of each category
- 12 Additional information/restriction(s)
Categories & Codes
For more information on the corresponding categories, please check the Commission decision on equivalence.
Period of validity*
A, B, BE
Until 65: 10 years;
above 65: 5 years
C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE
Until 50: 10 years;
above 50: 5 years
A1, A, B1, B, C1
2 years in the case of a provisional driving licence
*This refers to the administrative validity of the document and does not necessarily reflect the holder’s right to drive.
Description of national category
tractor, mobile machinery and tractor train
Preliminary driving licence: use of novice driver sign required. Maximum speed limit 90 km/h.
Code has validity period of 2 years.
These categories are only allowed to drive while the conscript is in the Defence Forces. The code is not used for the right to drive power-driven vehicles in subcategory C1.
Motorcycle with a power output of 25 kW or an effective engine power of maximum 0.16 kW/kg.
- Certificate of professional competence is issued : YES
- Code 95 is marked on the driving licence : NO