Size: 85.60 x 53.98 mm
Format: ISO / IEC 7810 ID-1
Material: Polycarbonate and PEC
OVI (optical variable ink)
- Location: On the reverse, right side
- Characteristics: The OVI changes from red to purple when you look at the card from a different side
- Location: On the front, at the bottom area / MRZ
- Characteristics: Micro-lettering between the MRZ and the data area
Ghost image of the holder’s ID photo
- Location: On the front side, superimposed over the personal data
- Characteristics: Transparent copy of the holder’s ID photo
- Method of verification: Check if it is consistent with the holder's main ID photo and micro-photo inside the MLI. Check it has not been damaged. The main personal data are LASER-engraved under it.
- Location: On the outside edge of the card
- Characteristics: The card has a transparent outside edge of 2 to 3 mm, as it was embedded in a transparent polycarbonate inlay of ID1 size.
- Method of verification: Check the outside edge of the card is transparent. The date of birth and the micro-lettering “République française” should be displayed on the edge.
- Location: Reverse side, chip
- Characteristics: Copper engraving superimposed over the chip contact. A Marianne-like figure is engraved inside the chip
- Method of verification: Check
- Location: Front side, name of the holder
- Characteristics: A special font is set before and after the name of the holder, to prevent the name being modified by adding a character
- Method of verification: Check this is present
MLI : variable laser
- Location: Front side, at the bottom right
- Characteristics: The feature image shifts from an ID photo (of the holder) to a date (the expiry date) and then back to the photo. Check that both display the same information as on the licence
- Method of verification: Tilt the licence. Check the date against the expiry date. Check the photo against the holder’s ID photo.
DID: transparent mark
- Location: Front side, on the holder’s photo
- Characteristics: Transparent mark partially covering the holder’s photo which: 1) changes colour when rotated at 90° 2) causes the picture of France to morph into a portrait of Marianne
- Method of verification: Tilt the card from left to right: the picture of France changes into Marianne. Rotate the licence by 90°: the external circle and its stars changes from yellow to light red.
- 1 Surname of the holder
- 2 Other name(s) of the holder
- 3 Date and place of birth
- 4a Date of issue of the licence
- 4b Date of expiry of the licence
- 4c Name of the issuing authority
- 5 Number of licence
- 6 Photograph of the holder
- 7 Signature of the holder
- 8 Permanent place of residence
- 9 category(ies) of vehicle(s) the holder is entitled to drive
- 10 Date of first issue of each category(ies)
- 11 Date of expiry of each category
- 12 Additional information/restriction(s)
Categories & Codes
For more information on the corresponding categories, please check the Commission decision on equivalence.
Period of validity*
A1, A2, A, B, B1
BE, C, CE, C1, C1E
Until 60: 5 years;
60-76: 2 years;
above 76: 1 year
D1, D, D1E, DE
Until 60: 5 years;
above 60: 1 year
*This refers to the administrative validity of the document and does not necessarily reflect the holder’s right to drive.
C: restricted to 7.5 tonnes for drivers under 21
CE: restricted to 7.5 tonnes for drivers under 21
D: restricted to national passenger service on routes of 50 km or less, for drivers under 23 who obtained their licence through accelerated training
All categories: alcohol interlock
AM: restricted to 2 or 3-wheel category AM vehicles for drivers under 16
AM: restricted to category AM light quadricycle vehicles
Not authorised to drive category D vehicles which fall within the scope of Directive 2003/59/EC.
Category A limited to motorcycles with a maximum power output of 35 kW and a maximum power/weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg
- Certificate of professional competence is issued : YES
- Code 95 is marked on the driving licence : NO